test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to /etc/access as:

From:test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx        RELAY

Should allow relaying FROM this address, yet it doesn't seem to work
for me on a CentOS 4.4 system and I can't quite hit on why.

Hi Alex.

Have you rebuilt access.db? (makemap hash access.db < access)

I have, yes. There's the default Makefile in /etc/mail and I just run
make after changing the plain-text file.

That's strange. I've just tested it on one of my boxes, and relay_mail_from feature worked as advertised. Have you rebuilt sendmail.cf after editing sendmail.mc and before restarting Sendmail? (m4 sendmail.mc > sendmail.cf)

I know, unfortunately I have a couple of thousand non-technical users
already setup and I can't disrupt those.

Hm, if same system is their IMAP/POP3 server too, you could configure Sendmail to use same password source. It should not prompt them for passwords when sending mails (since it's the same server, same account name, same password, and they already entered it when accessing IMAP or POP3). Then you just tell those that need to send email with outside domains in "from" to make sure "use username and password" is checked in their mail client (if not already checked, some clients default to authenticating to SMTP server). Hopefully it wouldn't be too much of disruption.