test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx to /etc/access as:

From:test@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx        RELAY

Should allow relaying FROM this address, yet it doesn't seem to work
for me on a CentOS 4.4 system and I can't quite hit on why.

Have you rebuilt access.db? (makemap hash access.db < access)

BTW, if the system in question is accessible from the Internet, what you are doing is a bad idea. You are allowing anybody to send spam through your system by simply using specific return address.

Better way to do it would be to enable authentication in Sendmail.