Re: [CentOS] CentOS 3.8 Kernel Update with NVIDIA Video Card

On Oct 23, 2006, at 8:11, Bisbal, Prentice wrote:

You don't need to reinstall the lated NVIDIA driver every time you
update your kernel. In fact, this will cause problems if you need to
revert back to your old kernel. You just need to install a new kernel
module compiled for that version of your kernel.

I didn't know that. I thought the kernel module *IS* the driver. I guess there is more to it than that.

If you install the
entire driver package, you will be installing new versions of all the
related libraries, too. Then if you revert to the earlier kernel, that
kernel module be an earlier version that doesn't match the version of
the newer libraries, and you'll have a similar problem. Then to fix this one, you'll have to install the earlier kernel sources to recompile the
kernel module for that kernel... And so on, and so on...

OK, this makes sense to me.

If you might revert, it's better
to learn how to install just the kernel module. I forget the exact
syntax, but if you do 'man nvidia-installer', all the details are there.

Reading the man page, it appears that I need the -k option. I recently used yum to bring my system up-to-date, and yum installed the 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL kernel (which is not yet running, as I haven't rebooted). However, when I try to use the nvidia-installer and specify the non-running kernel, I get the following error:

# nvidia-installer -i
Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux
The currently installed driver is: 'NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86' (version: 1.0-8774).
# nvidia-installer -k 2.6.9-42.0.3.EL --ui=none
Welcome to the NVIDIA Software Installer for Unix/Linux

ERROR: No package found for installation. Please run this utility with the '--help' option for usage
       information.

ERROR: Installation has failed. Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia- installer.log' for details. You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at
       www.nvidia.com.

Even better, HP supplies the nvidia drivers as RPMS. These RPMS are for RHEL, and include a script /etc/init.d/nvconfig. At startup, this script checks to make sure that the current kernel has an nvidia module. If it
doesn't find one, it installs just the kernel module, no fuss no muss.
The HP RPMS are just the nvidia drivers repackaged into RPM form. I
recommend either using those RPMs, or at least extracting the
/etc/init.d/nvconfig script from the RPM and be done with it. That's
what I did.

And where can I get these RPMs?

Alfred