Re: [CentOS] NTP and hardware clock

If you want to use NTP, they you should store GMT in the hardware clock, otherwise you might end up with windows style 'my clock is an hour out' bugs. Needless to say, this does not work with a dual-boot linux/windows box.

The RH approach of setting the time with ntpdate before starting ntpd is IMHO wrong but it does not cause me enough trouble to worry about fixing it.

As for the original problem, ntpd probably relies on DNS to find the servers and if it can't find any servers it may fail to start. This is normal daemon behavior, normal for apache anyway.

John.