Re: [CentOS] Linux World Expo - London 25th + 26th Oct 2006

Dag Wieers wrote:
I remember when I was at the Fedora booth on FOSDEM that it's hard to get attention with just a bunch of hardware that is doing something. Often what attracts people is fancy graphics or a presentation with interesting bulletpoints.

LinuxWorld, unlike FOSDEM, is very much overshadowed by the commercial guys - the biggest, most flashy areas tend to be the guy guys like Redhat, IBM, Novel etc. And to quite an extent its driven by these commercial guys. Fosdem is a very different sort of setup.

Also, one thing from last year - lots of people ask about where / how to get help if they get stuck, so whatever handout we do - must include some url's for help/support.

I'm not sure how crowded it is (FOSDEM is really crowded) and what facilities we have. I'm thinking of bringing my laptop, either to do some work when that's possible or to showcase something.

We just get the stand, nothing on the inside of it - but we did get a few power sockets. Lance has some furniture, are you going to bring that along this year as well ?

But it's nice to know what the punchline is going to be. If someone is leaving the booth, what points do we want to get through. There are so many things we can say that we have to stick to something simple and concise ? (And add to that whatever is in the context of the interaction)

My usual punchline with CentOS is simple - IF you need the support and have big bucks to pay, goto Redhat, but all means. However, if you want something different ( like more filesystem support, more third party pacakges, dont want to / cant afford to pay much ) then CentOS is for you. Another thing that really hits hard and fast is the community. RHEL has almost zero community around it - everyone moved to fedora, and therefore unstable / short lifespan distro. CentOS on the other hand has massive momentum on the community side. I think its always important to highlight this.

I figure that handing out CD's nowadays would not be very useful.
Maybe not, but we do have some t-shirts and mugs

Are there any posters or something big to put at the background ? How can we get a glimpse of bypassers if there's a crowd in the front of the booth ?

Standing outside the stand, in the middle of the aisle that people are walking down - always works :)

Versatility ?

yes, you can do whatever you like with it and not have any change-in-support or change-in-circumstances.

New technologies like virtualization ?

i am not sure if we want to talk Virtualisation as yet - its not really there yet, in the core distro ( 4.5 will bring Xen, but its not due out for a while yet )

Ok, based on the feedback here we can refine it for FOSDEM and future exhibitions. It would also be nice to have a press-kit. (artwork, summary, facts and numbers, contact-person, timeline, new technologies, progress)

Anything worth putting in a magazin should be mentioned in a press-kit. Usually exhibitions like this one have an official press-area with the press-kits available.

that would be nice, if someone was to start this section on the wiki, i am sure more people would get involved and kick in.

Wikis seem good ...

Can I get edit access ? :)

done! You should now be able to edit / add content ( remember the centos-docs list :) )

maybe we should have an 'Events' page on the wiki, and then sub-pages for each event that people are going to represent CentOS at.