Re: [CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Les Mikesell wrote:
On 1/16/06, Jim Perrin <jperrin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> How can I be sure of the dependencies?
> What yum command would I run afterwards?
> How do I get updates to this rpm over time?
>
> thanks!

jpackage offers a yum repository. You'll need to set that up if you
want to update from their packages. As for the java rpm. You're on
your own for that one. Sun has yet to set up a java repository, and
their license is such that we cannot.

Revisiting this after many months... Is it still true that every user
has to track when
Sun and jpackage issue matching updates and get them separately the
hard way...

Are you talking about j2re or other java software?

I believe you can acquire Java j2re updates from one of the third-party CentOS repositories, such as DAG/rpmforge.

Manually download:  http://dag.wieers.com/packages/j2re/

To add the DAG repo permanently (and thus get any updates provided by the repo provider):

  http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/apt/FAQ.php#B

On my server machines I usually explicitly include only the packages I want from the 3rd party repo. This helps me keep straight which packages are fully supported by the distro and which ones I had to go looking for.

To tell yum that you only want to update j2re, just add one line to /etc/yum.repos.d/dag.repo

  includepkgs=j2re

 Dan Stoner
 Network Administrator
 Florida Museum of Natural History