Re: [CentOS] Another Tar stopper

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

Wait a sec here. I am piping the tar to stdout (tar czvfO ) then sending that through to SSH ( | SSH ....) to be cated into the actual file ( cat > archive.tgz):

tar -cpvzO / --exclude-from=/home/not-file | ssh user@ipaddrs "cat > backup.tgz"

So where is the verbose going to so I see it on the screen?  STDERR?
Normal UNIX tools write data to stdout and everything else like error messages, status messages etc to stderr.

tar ... > file.tar

will save your data (the tar file) to the file and the messages will be seen on the terminal. You can redirect them if you want with 2>

tar ... > file.tar 2> tarlog.txt

And still either how do I unlock any locked files left locked by X? And/or just tar them with the lock?
You don't need to backup lock files. They won't make sense if restored anyway. Most tools will create new locks when they start next time. Some tools will complain if there is a lock file already there when they start up.

John.

John Newbigin
Computer Systems Officer
Swinburne University of Technology