Re: [CentOS] Another Tar stopper

Will McDonald wrote:
On 12/09/06, Barry L. Kline <blkline@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> So I switched over to init 3 and ran the tar process from the text session.
>
> Still got this error.
>
> How do I figure out what is wrong and how do I find any similar
> show-stoppers?

That error is frequently caused by a lock or with the file changing
while being backed up.  Use the verbose option with tar, then scan down
through the log to find out what happened.   If you have a non-fatal
error early on in the execution of tar you'll receive notice of it at
the end of execution.

I'd send STDOUT and STDERR to separate logs for brevity's sake.
Something like...

tar czvf $destfile $tobetarred > /tmp/tarlog.std 2> /tmp/tarlog.err
Doubt if it would be for brevity sake, rather the ablity to see all that happened!

And forgot about standerr....