[CentOS] very new user having problems

I just loaded CentOS and want to connect to the internet using a radio and wireless internet.

I got some numbers from the internet provider. He walked me through some of the changes in the networking area. But it did not work.

I have read three books on Unix and I am determined to do this. but I think I need lots of help.

Where could I look this up on a windows machine??

when I get connected to the net, then I have another question about how to make the jave download operational.

thank you