Re: [CentOS] 32bit versus 64bit memory usage?

Christian Nygaard wrote:
Thanks for this input regarding Gnome memory usage it is insightful and the percentage rule of thumb. The system will be 1U Dual Woodcrest 5140 terminal server and have somewhere around 8GB of memory

The sweet spot for memory size is around 10GB for a hugemem 32-bit kernel. At 16GB or more, I would definitively go for a 64-bit kernel if possible.

reserve io ops for sporadic reboots of the latter. Its currently handling somewhat ok with 6GB of memory on two
32bit Dual Xeon machines for the same user load.

So both machines have 6GB, or 2x3GB?

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten@xxxxxxxxxxx

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.