Re: [CentOS] 32bit versus 64bit memory usage?

On 8/29/06, Morten Torstensen <morten@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Christian Nygaard wrote:
>> I'm planning for new Centos 4 computers using the 64bit distribution
>> and is wondering
>> if there is a difference on how much RAM memory you should use on a
>> 32bit versus
>> 64bit operating system?

Yes. Several low-limits are higher on 64-bit than on 32-bit, like minimum for
Gnome install is 128MB on 32-bit and 256MB on 64-bit. I assume you would have
more memory than that anyway. 64-bit will use more memory, how much depends. If
you add 20% to what you need on 32-bit you should generally be safe. What kind
of system are you considering 64-bit on?

Thanks for this input regarding Gnome memory usage it is insightful and the percentage rule of thumb. The system will
be 1U Dual Woodcrest 5140 terminal server and have somewhere around 8GB of memory
(thats amount is undecided depending on input from this thread) and it will run around 40
KDE desktops. Of the memory I probably need to reserve around 2GB for virtual Windows 2000 server dozers and
reserve io ops for sporadic reboots of the latter. Its currently handling somewhat ok with 6GB of memory on two
32bit Dual Xeon machines for the same user load.

Cheers,
Chris