Re: [CentOS] Managing updates to non-centos packages

Is there a way to tell yum to only pull updates from rpmforge for packages that were initially installed from rpmforge?

Disable the rpmforge repos by default, then only enable it if you want to update packages you have installed from there. You can then enable it with the command line option to yum.

This doesn't quite solve the problem, I think. Please stab me with a rusty spork if I'm wrong. :)

Following your method, when I enable rpmforge and then do a "yum update" yum will still try to update packages that were originally installed from base/updates with newer ones that it's found in rpmforge.

Using the "syslinux" package as an example, it exists in the base/ updates repo. A newer version of it also exists in the rpmforge repo. When I do "yum update --enablerepo=rpmforge" it will try to update syslinux with the rpmforge version. I suppose this is somewhat-expected behaviour, but it's not desirable (for me) because the syslinux package will no longer be considered 100% binary compatible.

Again, the goal is to be as close to 100% binary compatible with the upstream provider as possible.

I want some way of telling yum to only download updates from rpmforge for packages that were installed from rpmforge, not packages that were installed from base/updates.

As I alluded to in my original post, this seems possible (but clumsy) by using the "includepkgs" directive to maintain a list of what packages rpmforge should be used for. But, I was hoping there was a better way?

LC.