Re: [CentOS] Postpone/avoid swaping while there is still free RAM.

I've set swappiness to 5 on three 4.3 servers with current kernel and which each have a lot of memory and I noticed an improvement. I'm pretty tempted to test with 1 as I'd really like the server to swap once it's getting really low on physical memory...but the boss is too cheap to buy another server to test on :P

On 6/20/06, William L. Maltby <BillsCentOS@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Tue, 2006-06-20 at 13:51 -0400, Barry L. Kline wrote:
> Alexander Georgiev wrote:
> >
> > There is plenty of free ram, but the kernel prefers to swap unused
> > pages to disk. And later I have to wait for them to be unswapped, the
> > Desktop looses its promptness - annoying.
> > <snip>

Since we are talking desktops now, I'll mention that since I made the
adjustments to my node that I mention in the thread Jim mentions, I have
not seen more than 160k in swap used. And I did not futz with swappiness
or any other parameter. Prior to those changes, under "heavy" load (e.g.
multiple browsers for multiple users open, multiple mail sessions (evo
and tbird),... I would see severe swap and degradation after a couple of
days. Since the changes, in over a week of not rebooting, never more
than 160k swapped.

I guess I ought to find what it is and get rid of it too, but seems
unworthy of the effort.

HTH
--
Bill