Re: [CentOS] SCSI Raid

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 at 11:00am, Bowie Bailey wrote

It's pretty well established that 3ware is a good "real" hardware raid
card for SATA drives.

So what is a good card for SCSI raid?  My searches have come up with
Adaptec and LSI as the main players here.  Are the LSI MegaRAID cards
"real" hardware raid?  Which cards can give good raid 5 performance?

Yes, the MegaRAIDs are "real" hardware RAID (a quick look at the specs shows the onboard IOP). I honestly don't know how they perform in RAID5 (I use mine for a cluster head node, just doing RAID1), but I'd make sure you get the PCI-X (or PCIe) versions rather than the regular PCI ones. The driver support is quite good, but the monitoring is a little tougher.

I've been shying away from Adapted for a while now, so I have no experience with them at all.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering