Re: [CentOS] Changing from dynamic ip to static ip

I think this means that their router is at 71.30.117.1, so at least minimally you may want to set your ROUTER= and NAMESERVER= to that ip (if they are providing dns through it).

The usable IP's are where you block starts, so you can assign an adapter starting at 71.30.117.2, on up through the 0/30 range they've provided.

(Generally not a good idea to post your IP's in public message spaces by the way).

> My ip address, if I do an ifconfig, is 71.30.117.1.  This has me a

My guess is that this is because you're still using dhcp when you initialize your adapter and the ISP therefore provides a fallback for users who haven't switched?

All of this advice could be bozo, but based on my experience so far, it's probably close enough to get you started. I would, however, backup your net config file, make a small change, and test it thoroughly.

Also, you might have to also add in your resolv.conf (or if windows, the tcpip configuration) the ip addresses of the nameservers the ISP provides, if other than the router address.

/m