Re: [CentOS] Simple backup program

On Wed, 7 Jun 2006, Bowie Bailey wrote:

I am looking for a simple backup program that I can use to backup a
CentOS box to a local tape drive.  Hopefully someone here can give me
a recommendation.

This is what I need:
   - Simple launching of manual backups (preferably from the command
     line)
   - Ability to span tapes for a large backup
   - Proper treatment of hardlinked files
   - Notification via email or similar when it is ready for the next
     tape.

I tried mondo-rescue, but decided against it after it spent 4 hours
just trying to index the files (it never actually started the backup).

I am considering Amanda, but the setup is a bit complex and, based on
the docs, the tape spanning capability isn't the best.

Anyone have any suggestions?  I would think that there would be a
simple program out there to backup and restore from tape without all
of the extra scheduling and indexing features.

Bacula (www.bacula.org) will do what you want, though wading through the initial configuration process can take a couple hours. Tape spanning is well supported; backups can be scheduled or initiated from the command line; the cli restore process has an interface similar to dump/restore, so it's fairly easy to navigate.

We use it to back up CentOS, Debian, Gentoo, and OS X to tape.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> www.madboa.com