Re: [CentOS] Kernel update = slower ?

William L. Maltby wrote:

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 19:18 -0400, Sam Drinkard wrote:
Johnny,

After reading about the VM issue, I concur. The previous kernel did exhibit the behavior noted in the URL you sent. Looking right now, I see a considerable difference in use / swap. The software running on the machine generally uses anwhere from 1.2 > 1.4Gb of memory, and I had noticed swap would, over time, increase, while there was still *some* memory available, but it never would use totally all of it. The application running right now is a little different from the one that runs late-night and after 16z, so I'll take a peek at it either tonight if I'm up or in the a.m. after the thing starts. I'll also note swap and its size as time progresses to see if it increases as before with free mem.

I forget the start of this thread... was 64 bit only? Anyway, I had my
32bit lock a couple times with symptoms like Sam mentions. Lots of swap
used and no reason for it. Was using lots of open browsers, a couple
different GUI MUAs, etc.

Turned off things I didn't need for this workstation behind firewall on
cable, like sendmail, spamc/d (started by evolution as it needs
regardless of system started), etc.

A *biggie*, maybe, is the stupid readahead and readahead_early stuff.
Take a look at their file lists. Some small % suits your needs, the rest
is just someone's idea of every possible thing that might speed up
initial response. I completely disable these and have seen no
difference. As I expected, after initial boot, most of it is wasted and
the "non-manual" memory management does a better job than someone who
probably got told "Make our boot faster than Windoze".

Up now for 6 days running similar load (I think, haven't bothered to
really measure it) and swap use is still good and response is still
good.

I suspect the heavy duty servers a lot of you have can also live without
these readahead* things. Put a stopwatch on it and see. YMMV.

After uptime of a little over 3 days now, I'm not seeing any increase in swap as I did prior, but then again, I don't exactly recall how long it took before swap started increasing. One thing I do notice is for some reason, the applications that nomally would consume between 1.2 - 1.4G of memory is now down to 1.1 - 1.2, and swap is only lightly touched at 181mb. Don't know if this is due to the kernal update or what, but it would seem logical that it is, since I see different behavior than previously. I've not turned off readahead or readahead_early yet, but will do so shortly and see if I can tell any difference in model run times which did increase after the kernel update. One thing at a time I guess :-)

Sam

--
Sam W.Drinkard -- sam@xxxxxxxxxx
http://wa4phy.net