Re: [CentOS] PERL module woes

On Thu, 1 Jun 2006, Johnny Hughes wrote:

Installing perl modules from CPAN absolute worst possible solution and should be used only as the absolute last resort.

When I get to the point that I absolutely must have a CPAN module that conflicts with or requires extensive tweaking of the system Perl installation, I fall back on the virtue of laziness. :-)

For me, that means building Perl into its own tree (/usr/local/perl5 or somesuch) and using CPAN to manage it. Scripts using that perl begin #!/usr/local/perl5/bin/perl and are therefore easy to identify. It's also easy to tar up (or wrap with rpm) that directory tree for installation on multiple systems.

The same is true for any scripting language that ships with a distribution. There are too many system tools that require stable scripting environments to go messing with them.

That's not to say that you can't do lots of rpm-based installations into the system Perl tree. It's just that I find it faster -- and safer -- to roll my own...

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx <> www.madboa.com