Re: Current RHEL fragmentation landscape

user base decreases, and CentOS/Fedora communities will end up
suffering the most because of greed.

-----Original Message-----
From: frank saporito <frank.saporito.md@xxxxxxxxx>
To: centos@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Current RHEL fragmentation landscape
Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2023 11:55:28 -0500

On 7/22/23 02:29, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 2023-07-21 00:30, Lee Thomas Stephen wrote:
> > But for my business, I do not want to pay Red Hat, Zimbra, or
> > Google
> > Workspace.
> > Why ?
> > Because the general rule seems to be
> > Oh! You are an individual, we will offer you affordable/free
> > service
> > What! You are a business, we will offer you extremely
> > 'unaffordable'
> > service.
> > Because being a 'business' by default means you have a 'lot' of
> > money
> > to waste.
>

> I'm not a Red Hat employee, so I'm not positive how they would
> respond
> to that.  But, speaking as a customer who has worked with numerous
> enterprise support agreements over several decades, I want to suggest
> that the issue isn't that Red Hat assumes that businesses have a lot
> of money to spend, it's that they're targeting a set of the market
> that you might not be in right now.
>
> From my point of view, Red Hat doesn't really sell software. They
> give
> away software.  All of their software is available at no charge,
> typically in an unbranded release.  What Red Hat sells is support.

Does Red Hat give away software anymore?

> I don't mean helpdesk style "support-me-when-something-breaks"
> support.  Support isn't something that exists only during incidents,
> support is a relationship. It's periodic meetings with your account
> manager and engineers. It's discussing your roadmap and your pain
> points regularly, and getting direction from them. It's the
> opportunity to tell Red Hat what your needs and priorities are, and
> helping them make decisions about where to allocate their engineers
> time to address the real needs of their customers. It's setting the
> direction for the company that builds the system that sits underneath
> your technical operations. That kind of support is what makes RHEL a
> valuable offering.
>
> If you don't need the kind of support that comes with enterprise
> offerings, then by all means, use the Free Software that Red Hat
> provides to the community.

I am confused.  Last month Red Hat announced that the source code would
not be published.

> But don't make the mistake of thinking that Red Hat is trying to mlik
> businesses simply because they're businesses.  Red Hat's offerings
> are
> expensive because they're enterprise-focused support plans.

Businesses can purchase in a tax-advantageous manner that you can not
as
an individual.  Companies do not pay tax on their expenses.
That might partially explain the higher rates for commercial products
and services.

I am not an expert network manager.  I am a physician that used CentOS
8
on my three practice servers until the big "rug pull." At the time, I
had a choice between switching to the Stream or Oracle Linux 8.  I went
with Oracle Linux 8 and had no complaints.  Some have suggested that
the
evil Oracle will execute the same IBM rug pull.  I considered that.
That concern is a non-issue now.

The spirit of GPL was meant to force sharing and prevent the
commercialization of the volunteer work of many.  At the time, I was
confused about why IBM purchased Red Hat for an astronomical amount.
Well, it is clear now.  As the readers know, there is a significant
defect in the GPL: A Comprehensive Analysis of the GPL Issues With the
Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Business Model
<https://sfconservancy.org/blog/2023/jun/23/rhel-gpl-analysis/> The
terms of the license are enforceable, not the spirit

I think the Rocky Linux workaround will eventually fail.  I expect IBM
already has a plan for all contingencies.

There is reason for anger.  Is there a reason for hope?

frank saporito md