Re: RAID1 setup

On 1/10/23 20:20, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
Official drives should be here Friday, so trying to get reading.

On 1/9/23 01:32, Simon Matter wrote:
Hi

Continuing this thread, and focusing on RAID1.

I got an HPE Proliant gen10+ that has hardware RAID support. (can turn
it off if I want).
What exact model of RAID controller is this? If it's a S100i SR Gen10 then
it's not hardware RAID at all.

Yes, I found the information:
============================
HPE Smart Array Gen10 Controllers Data Sheet.

Software RAID

· HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 Software RAID

Notes:

- HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID will operate in UEFI mode only. For legacy support an additional controller will be needed

- The S100i only supports Windows. For Linux users, HPE offers a solution that uses in-distro open-source software to create a two-disk RAID 1 boot volume. For more information visit: https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/lsrrb/
====================
I have yet to look at this url.

This guide seems to answer MOST of my questions.

I am planning two groupings of RAID1 (it has 4 bays).

There is also an internal USB boot port.

So I am really a newbie in working with RAID.  From this thread it
sounds like I want /boot and /boot/efi on that USBVV boot device.
I suggest to use the USB device only to bot the installation medium, not
use it for anything used by the OS.

Will it work to put / on the first RAID group?  What happens if the 1st
drive fails and it is replaced with a new blank drive.  Will the config
in /boot figure this out or does the RAID hardware completely mask the 2
drives and the system runs on the good one while the new one is being
replicated?

I am trying to grok what you are saying here.  is MD0-4 the physical disks or partitions?

I see from your response to another poster you ARE talking about RAID on individual partitions.  So I can better think about your approach now.

thanks

All the drives I am getting are 4TB, as that is the smallest Enterprise quality HD I could find!  Quite overkill for me, $75 each.

I guess the best thing would be to use Linux Software RAID and create a
small RAID1 (MD0) device for /boot and another one for /boot/efi (MD1),

Here is sounds like MD0 and MD1 are partitions, not physical drives?

both in the beginning of disk 0 and 1 (MD2). The remaining space on disk 0
and 1 are created as another MD device. Disk 2 and 3 are also created as
one RAID1 (MD3) device. Formatting can be done like this

MD0 has filesystem for /boot
MD1 has filesystem for /boot/efi
MD2 is used as LVM PV
MD3 is used as LVM PV

Now it really seems like MDn are partitions with MD0-3 on disks 1&2 and MD3 on disks 3&4?

All other filesystems like / or /var or /home... will be created on LVM
Logical Volumes to give you full flexibility to manage storage.

Given using iRedMail which puts all mail store under /var/vmail, /var goes on disks 3&4.

/home will be little stuff.  iRedMail components put their configs and data (like domain and user sql database) all over the places. Disks 1&2 will be basically empty.  Wish I could have found high quality 1TB drives for less...

thanks

Regards,
Simon

I also don't see how to build that boot USB stick.  I will have the
install ISO in the boot USB port and the 4 drives set up with hardware
RAID.  How are things figure out?  I am missing some important piece here.

Oh, HP does list Redhat support for this unit.

thanks for all help.

Bob