Re: Backup KVM Guest VM in OVA or VMDK format

On Wed, Sep 14, 2022 at 7:37 PM Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@xxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2022 at 5:41 PM Fabian Arrotin <arrfab@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> On 01/09/2022 18:14, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Is there a way to backup KVM Guest VM running CentOS Linux release
>> 7.9.2009
>> > (Core) OS in kvmguestosimage.ova or kvmguestosimage.vmdk format as I am
>> > trying to restore it in AWS by referring to
>> > https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/vm-import/ article as per the below
>> supported
>> > file format.
>> >
>> > [1] Open Virtualization Archive (OVA)
>> > [2] Virtual Machine Disk (VMDK)
>> > [3] Virtual Hard Disk (VHD/VHDX)
>> > [4] raw
>> >
>> > Also any method to take full and incremental backup of KVM Guest VM.
>> >
>> > Any help will be highly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.
>> > Thanks in Advance.
>> >
>> > Best Regards,
>> >
>> > Kaushal
>>
>> Stop the vm
>> qemu-img convert -f raw origin.qcow2 dest.raw
>>
>> You can then import but while we use this to create official centos
>> image, don't forget to ensure that you node is ready to be imported, so
>> cloud-init, etc, etc
>>
>> It's usually easier/better/faster to have automation in place to
>> configure an application and so replay it on a new node, and then
>> replicate data
>>
>> I guess only option why you'd want to not do this is that it's a running
>> machine that was configured "by hands" by someone who left the company
>> (and so without automation in place)
>>
>> --
>> Fabian Arrotin
>> The CentOS Project | https://www.centos.org
>> gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab
>

> Thanks Fabian for the detailed email. I followed the below steps by
> referring to
> https://docs.aws.amazon.com/vm-import/latest/userguide/vmimport-image-import.html
> .
>
> # qemu-img -h | grep Supported
> Supported formats: blkdebug blklogwrites blkverify compress
> copy-before-write copy-on-read file ftp ftps gluster host_cdrom host_device
> http https iscsi iser luks nbd null-aio null-co nvme preallocate qcow2
> quorum raw rbd ssh throttle vhdx vmdk vpc
>
> # qemu-img --version
> qemu-img version 6.2.0 (qemu-kvm-6.2.0-12.module_el8.7.0+1140+ff0772f9)
> Copyright (c) 2003-2021 Fabrice Bellard and the QEMU Project developers
> #
>
> *Step No. 1*
> #qemu-img convert -O vmdk openapibox.img openapibox.vmdk -p
>
> *Step No. 2*
> #aws ec2 import-image --disk-containers
> Format=vmdk,UserBucket="{S3Bucket=daclabservers,S3Key=openapidbox.vmdk}"
> {
>     "ImportTaskId": "import-ami-0232f452194f6efe0",
>     "Progress": "1",
>     "SnapshotDetails": [
>         {
>             "DiskImageSize": 0.0,
>             "Format": "VMDK",
> [...]

Hi,

I will appreciate it if someone can pitch in for my earlier post to this
mailing list and need guidance in this regard. I look forward to hearing
from you. Thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal