Re: Backup KVM Guest VM in OVA or VMDK format

On 01/09/2022 18:14, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
Hi,

Is there a way to backup KVM Guest VM running CentOS Linux release 7.9.2009
(Core) OS in kvmguestosimage.ova or kvmguestosimage.vmdk format as I am
trying to restore it in AWS by referring to
https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/vm-import/ article as per the below supported
file format.

[1] Open Virtualization Archive (OVA)
[2] Virtual Machine Disk (VMDK)
[3] Virtual Hard Disk (VHD/VHDX)
[4] raw

Also any method to take full and incremental backup of KVM Guest VM.

Any help will be highly appreciated. I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks in Advance.

Best Regards,

Kaushal

Stop the vm
qemu-img convert -f raw origin.qcow2 dest.raw

You can then import but while we use this to create official centos image, don't forget to ensure that you node is ready to be imported, so cloud-init, etc, etc

It's usually easier/better/faster to have automation in place to configure an application and so replay it on a new node, and then replicate data

I guess only option why you'd want to not do this is that it's a running machine that was configured "by hands" by someone who left the company (and so without automation in place)

--
Fabian Arrotin
gpg key: 17F3B7A1 | twitter: @arrfab