Re: Installing mdadm and C7 on new computer

On 04/29/2022 07:30 AM, Joakim Dellrud wrote:
> Think he might have just missed the fact that you had EFI boot aswell. So then it would be:
>
> /boot md0
>
> /boot/EFI md1
>
> / md2 -> vg0 -> lvs
>
> Otherwise it was more a suggestion on using encryption for more then just the /home partition since there is always a risk with SWAP etc to have information that you do not want to be read.
>
> My current setup goes:
>
> /dev/mapper/vg0-root               /
> /dev/mapper/vg0-usr                /usr
> /dev/nvme0n1p2                      /boot       <- this would be a md device in your case
> /dev/nvme0n1p1                       /boot/efi <- this would be a md device in your case
> /dev/mapper/vg0-home             /home
> /dev/mapper/vg0-var                 /var
> /dev/mapper/vg0-tmp                 /tmp
> /dev/mapper/vg0-var_tmp          /var/tmp
> /dev/mapper/vg0-var_log            /var/log
> /dev/mapper/vg0-var_log_audit  /var/log/audit
>
> Note that we are most likely mixing data redundancy with data security a bit here. So as far as your plan to run a md device for each "partition" needed that is a sound and solid plan.
>
> When it comes to encryption the point is that you might want to have more then just /home protected. But this is very dependent on your threat model. If you have a laptop encryption of all partitions is suggested.
>
> Regards
>

> On 2022-04-24 20:54, H wrote:

>>> Thank you. I will have time to get back to this system tomorrow to try this.

>> Roberto, what would the advantage(s) be with your setup, ie one RAID1 array for everything but /boot compared to what I had done, ie three RAID1 arrays for /boot/efi RAID1, /boot RAID1 and one LVM-RAID1 for / and /home? As a naive user it would seem to me that the setup I did would be more resilient if a disk fails, or?

I am coming back to this topic after a long while. Again, I am installing CentOS 7 on a new machine. Using the graphical installer and following the suggestion above, I first created the /boot partition in RAID1 configuration, then /boot EFI in RAID1 configuration, after which I proceeded to create an LVM in RAID1 configuration for the remainder of the disks using the / partition.

If I understand the above correctly, I should then create /home and swap using this LVM (as well as possibly /var) but do not seem to be able to do so in the graphical installer.

Have I missed something? Or, do I need to do this differently following another path?

Thank you in advance.