Re: Kernel live patching on CentOS Stream 9

Il 2022-01-14 13:17 Josh Boyer ha scritto:
RHEL's kernel live patching uses upstream open source kpatch.  The
sources to the kpatches are delivered in customer facing CDN repos at
the same time as the kpatch itself.  We do not use proprietary code to
produce or apply the kpatches.

I can only speculate on whether RHEL kpatches would work on a CentOS
kernel, but my assumption is that they would not due to how they are
signed.

Is (well, was) the CentOS kernel identical at binary level to the RHEL one? If so, the same kpatch should be applicable to both RHEL and CentOS (the old one).

But I seem to understand that the two kernels are *not* bytewise identical, so a binary kpatch can not be applied the CentOS. Is this true?

Anyway, RH kpatches are surely not compatible with CentOS stream. So I asked if some project was started to provide live kernel patching to the new CentOS project. If I don't miss something, this is not the case.

Regards.

--
Danti Gionatan
Supporto Tecnico