Re: Kernel live patching on CentOS Stream 9

On 1/13/22 12:28 PM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 1/7/22 12:18, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 1/7/22 09:39, Gionatan Danti wrote:
is kernel live patching working for CentOS Stream 9?

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/2206511

My understanding of live kernel patching is that the feature allows systems to update specific individual kernel functions, and is primarily useful for addressing security vulnerabilities (and not, for example, for updating from one kernel version to another).  I don't know for a fact, but my expectation is that CentOS Stream systems aren't going to get "live" patches because there's no ongoing support for individual kernels.

Indeed .. you will get those things rolled into the next kernel, but not as live patches.

In layman's language summary: RedHat Enterprise features (including "live" kernel patching) are to be expected _only_ in RedHat Enterprise "binary replica" distributions, which CentOS Stream is not.

Valeri