systemctl hoses eth port settings

Hi all,
I recently added 2 eth ports to C7 machine via USB adapters.
Set up devices with Settings - Network .
While cables (and target devices) are installed, running `systemctl restart network` worked OK. If one of the devices loses connectivity (e.g. uplug eth cable) `systemctl restart network` will mix up the device assignments thereby losing connectivity to host. e.g. enp7s0, the PCI network card, gets set to parameters that belong to one of the USB adapters. This is not desired behavior. Is there something I have done incorrectly? I this normal behavior? I have looked at the scripts for if[up|down], and if run manually, works well to re-configure the enp7s0 interface but (apparently) systemctl does not use these scripts.
Thanks for your consideration.
Allan