Re: Introducing CentOS Stream 9

On Fri, 3 Dec 2021, Josh Boyer wrote:

Josh,

Thank you for the reply! I'm still poking around Stream 9, trying to devise some site-specific configuration-management rules, so I appreciate all the information I can get.

Of note: java, perl and ruby are entirely streams now, while python remains tied to the base OS. All RDBMS releases are streams. There is no Tomcat! libgcc is part of the base OS but is also a stream. I'm not sure how that will work.

I can clarify that a bit. We have Application Streams and separately the AppStream repo. The AppStream repo contains the Application Streams, but it also contains things that are still part of the standard OS that aren't what we'd consider "Base" or "core".

Ah! I hadn't understood that distinction. Thanks for the clarification.

We'll have a similar page for RHEL 9 when that is released, but your
list of languages and RDBMS in CentOS Stream 9 is a good start.  Also,
the python language stack will be slightly different in 9.  We still
have a system python (platform-python in RHEL8/CentOS Stream 8), which
is python 3.9 but the packaging format is a more traditional RPM
packaging.  The same concept applies to the system level gcc, and
therefore libgcc.

Does that mean there might be, say, a python310 or gcc12 stream?

RHEL 8 does not include Tomcat either, so that is not new.

Heh. I guess I should have looked at that. None of our internal Tomcat users have yet moved to EL8.

--
Paul Heinlein
heinlein@xxxxxxxxxx