Re: Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7. Does the latest version work?

On 15/07/2021 12:57, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jul 2021 at 05:30, Toralf Lund <toralf.lund@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On 15/07/2021 09:37, Gianluca Cecchi wrote:
On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 2:03 PM Toralf Lund <toralf.lund@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Does anyone else run Microsoft Teams on CentOS 7?

I've used it for a while now, and it's generally worked reasonably well.
However, after upgrading to the latest version from the Microsoft repos,
it doesn't start up properly. Processes start and remain active until I
give up and kill them, but I can't see a window or a tray icon or anything.

Has anyone else seen this? Is there anything I can do to make the GUI
appear?

This is not a big deal as everything just works fine if I revert to the
previous release, but it would be interesting to know if this is a
general problem with the software, or I have some weird issue with my
system.

The release that doesn't work is 1.4.00.13653. The one that does is
1.4.00.7556.

- Toralf

At the end I think you have something broken with your repo config or you
installed forcing something.
Like I said elsewhere, it turns out that it's a little more complicated
than that. The libraries are actually "provided", but they're not on the
library path.

That isn't provided..

It's quite definitely provided. I'm mean in the rpm/package install context, of course, which is what we were discussing.

The libraries/abi versions are also provided in the sense that the actually exist on my system, event though teams can't find them right now.

  that is a private copy that chrome bundles
itself to use. It may or may not have all of the library calls in it
(the chrome upstream may only turn on things it knows it wants), and
it may have changes which the team doesn't expect.

I think you're missing my point. The teams install works because the package *claims* that it provides everything teams wants (besides what's in the "normal" system libs.) Whether it works or not is a different question.

It most likely will, though, if I set up the necessary LD_PRELOAD etc. (haven't been able to try because I needed to have a Teams version i *knew* worked.)  It's unlikely that there are "changes which the team doesn't expect"; I'm reasonably sure this is a straight rebuild/repackaging of newer upstream "libstdc++". It's also not an integral part of Chrome, but rather a package someone related to the Fedora team made to allow a certain "upstream" versions of chrome to work on a certain "downstream" OS release.

Also teams is looking for `rpm -q --whatprovides
'libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.20)(64bit)'` and you typed
`rpm -q --whatprovides 'libstdc++.so.6(GLIBCXX_3.4.22)(64bit)'`

No, it looks for several different "libstdc++.so.6" versions, and the "chrome" package provides them all. I just listed one of them to illustrate the point.

Basically Microsoft teams will need to bundle this newer version of
glibc they are using to make your software work.