Re: Centos 7 shim fix failed

On 8/5/20 5:40 AM, Kenneth Porter wrote:

Is there some way we could get the initrd rebuild to be more verbose, so that it doesn't appear to hang? It would be nice to get feedback that something is happening, especially on an older, slower system that takes a long time for this step.

While the process CAN be made more verbose, it won't help any. RPM scriptlets are actually not supposed to generate output; both rpm and yum (and by extension dnf) buffer scriptlet output so that any messages that are issued will all be seen after the entire scriptlet has run.  The same thing is true for say the ELrepo kmods, such as kmod-nvidia.  That rpm needs to rebuild the initrd, and even issues a message saying something like 'this may take a while' or similar, but you won't get that message until the scriptlet doing the initrd rebuild has finished.

This is one area I think the Debian packaging system is a bit superior, in that dpkg's can issue progress reports and similar.  But rpm has been this way for a really really long time, ever since I maintained the PostgreSQL RPMset from 1999 to 2004.