Centos 7 shim fix failed

Following the advice on this mailing list, I rebuilt (from scratch) Centos 7.8. I added the following line into /etc/yum.conf before the first update:

exclude=grub2* shim* mokutil

The system worked fine.  I was able to do general updates
  yum -y update
and all was well.

HOWEVER, following Johnny Hughes' directions:

a) remove the 'exclude' line from yum.conf
b) perform update:  yum -y update
c) reinstall kernel.  Here the instructions were vague, so I typed in...
  yum reinstall kernel-3.10.0
deriving the "3.10.0" label by the output of
  rpm -qa | grep kernel

Yum got up to the point:

Running transaction
Installing : kernel-3.10.0-1127.el7.x86_64 1/1

at which point the process appeared to hang. No further output happened for five minutes. I opened a different terminal and entered "shutdown -r now". The result is an unbootable system.

What did I do wrong? I must admit that there are multiple copies of advice on the mailing list, so perhaps I followed the wrong one?