Can't rebuild coreutils package under CentOS 8: Missing build dependencies

--On Friday, October 25, 2019 8:18 PM -0700 Kenneth Porter <shiva@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I pulled the coreutils SRPM and it won't build because it wants texinfo
and dnf says it doesn't exist, using either the builddep or search
subcommands. (There may be other builddep issues but texinfo is notable
for being in the vault's SRPMs but not on the mirrors.)

A source package for texinfo exists here:

<http://archive.kernel.org/centos-vault/8.0.1905/BaseOS/Source/SPackages/>

I see no binary package for it here:

<https://mirrors.edge.kernel.org/centos/8.0.1905/BaseOS/x86_64/os/Packages/>

I tried "dnf builddep" on the texinfo source package and it wants help2man. I can't find either a source or binary package for that. (I see one in the CentOS 7 repo.)

Another missing dependency is 'perl(Unicode::EastAsianWidth)'. dnf can't find a package that supplies that.

(The end goal is to figure out where ls.c is getting an implementation of strmode() which is doing weird things, truncating the mode string when the user or group field is zero.)