Re: where to find wifi driver

On 14/05/2019 17:20, Jonathan Billings wrote:
On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 05:16:59PM +0100, Phil Perry wrote:
I'm generally not willing to package these Realtek sources for Enterprise
Linux as the code is often heavily dependant upon kernel versioning with
lots of conditionals. This approach simply does not work on RHEL (or
CentOS), where for example el7 uses a nominal 3.10.0 kernel but has a wifi
stack that is backported from linux-4.14. For these Realtek drivers to be
properly supported on RHEL (and CentOS), Realtek need to perform RHEL
versioning checks (RHEL_MAJOR and RHEL_MINOR) in addition to their kernel
versioning checks.

My advice - if Realtek isn't prepared to support the device on RHEL (or
CentOS), purchase an adapter that is natively supported.

Yeah, sorry, I wasn't volunteering you to support this, but rather
suggesting to the original poster that they might have better luck
building it against an elrepo kernel than a CentOS kernel.

No problem, and you are absolutely spot on that these drivers will be far easier to build against a vanilla kernel than a heavily backported RHEL/CentOS distro kernel.

Still, if it were me, for the sake of $20 I'd rather go buy something that's natively supported out of the box than spend the next 5-10 years constantly wrestling with unsupported code.

I appreciate all the time and effort ELrepo puts into providing
packages.