Re: Firefox esr repackage

On 11/05/19 2:05 AM, Simon Matter via CentOS wrote:
Am 10.05.2019 um 11:12 schrieb Nux! <nux@xxxxxxxxx>:
I maintain a desktop oriented repo for CentOS and last I checked a year
or so ago, I got over 150k+ unique IPs with yum user agent downloading
stuff from it.

It's a bit anecdotal as perhaps not all are actual desktop users and
some users were using multiple IPs (dhcp), but it shows there are quite
a few users out there running CentOS for desktop purposes.

There are desktop focused distros out there who do not even reach this
kind of numbers. How many active users do you think Mageia or Linux Mint
have?

We are moving our workstations from OSX to EL8 right now. We think its
time to
couple our activities more tight to the new technologies that come with
EL8 ...
otherwise the user keeps brain-splitted :-)
Don't get me wrong. At work we are running 99% of all desktop activity on
RHEL/CentOS for much more than a decade.

That's why I'm wondering why such a Firefox breakage has such a low
priority for upstream. Our users are used to Firefox with several add-ons
like uBlock and others. Suddenly having to run it without them is quite a
mess and asks for an immediate fix.

I have used CentOS 6 and 7 as workstation core along with EPEL, elrepo and nux ever since v6 was released. It has just got better and better. Then we have the likes of gnome and firefox, seeming to think of others rather than the hard core users that have consistently worked to streamline work flows in the real paying world. They are making huge changes, motivated by .... and in the process sacrificing work flow and efficiency as they pursue other goals.

BTW, dropped firefox some months ago when one of the updates trashed my stored passwords - using vivaldi now, not quite as internet savy as ff or chrome when it comes to video playing but otherwise interesting and useful.

just my 2p worth.

That's what I'm wondering about.

Regards,
Simon