Re: How insecure is NIS ? Possible alternatives ?

On 03/26/2018 02:59 AM, Nicolas Kovacs wrote:
I gave FreeIPA a spin a while back. I installed it on a sandbox server,
and from what I recall, it pulled in a tsunami of dependencies, and
first thing it wanted to replace my Dnsmasq with BIND... so I didn't
look much further.

FreeIPA should be installed on its own server or VM, in which case its dependencies and what it replaces shouldn't be a cause for concern.  You can still run dnsmasq on a different host.  Use FreeIPA's DNS for the internal, private domain only.

FreeIPA takes all of one command to install, and one to set up. It provides a web UI for both administrative and end-user management of users, passwords, login and sudo policy, etc. Anything you find overly complex can simply be unused.