Re: /var/run/... being deleted :((

On Wed, 11 Oct 2017, Lamar Owen wrote:

If the maintainers of packages that want to run well on CentOS 7 need to have /var/run/$some-file persistence (or pseudo-persistence, which is the current behavior enabled by re-creating said files) then those maintainers will need to change their packages to match actual behavior or file a bug report with upstream to change the behavior.  Upstream will probably close with a 'WONTFIX' and the package maintainer will either change packaging or stop supporting CentOS 7.  Of course, stranger things have happened, and upstream might relent on the decision.  But my gut feel is that upstream will keep the current behavior and the packages will eventually be changed to support it, but I always reserve the right to be wrong.

I see at least two possible intermediate results:
The RHEL 7 folks do something, perhaps make a package,
to  make pseudo-persistence super easy to get.
The RHEL 7 folks do something, perhaps make a package,
to allow users to fix this particular problem, e.g.
by adding pseudo-persisitence for a file used by a package.

My guess is that neither would have to be done by the RHEL 7 folks.
They might want to to ensure that neither gets done badly.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Sorry but your password must contain an uppercase letter, a number,