Re: /var/run/... being deleted :((

On 10/11/2017 03:42 PM, Alice Wonder wrote:
When I need daemon (or other not human user) produced data to persist a reboot, I use /srv - I don't know if that is technically correct or not, but it seems highly unlikely /srv would ever be a candidate for wipe on boot.

Perhaps the package in question could simply be patched to use /srv ??
Hmm, not a bad idea actually, although historically with 'Old Unix (TM)' I would probably use /usr or /var/lib (if it's new enough to have /var/lib).  Yes, /usr, not /usr/lib or /usr/share; my first Unix system place user home directores right off of /usr (I had my /usr/lowen from my Tandy 6000 Xenxi system on 30 8-inch floppies once; kindof wish I had those again, although enough of them would probably be unreadable so I would lose some segments of the multi-floppy tar; but the readable segments could still be restored, since it was an uncompressed tar.....).

Today I would say a directory tree right off of /var or /srv wouldn't be inappropriate.