Re: looking for graphing tools

Am 19.06.2017 um 21:26 schrieb Fred Smith:
Hi!

I have bazillions of incoming (rejected) attempts to connect to my
SMTP server, and I'm interested in separating out those that seem
to come in huge bunches (e.g., the one from yesterday that ran for
about 10 hours and sent over 4100 attempts), and graphing them so
I can see the spacing and/or distribution in time.

I can figure out some simple scripting to turn the maillog entries
into times since the epoch, or other formats, if needed, but I have
no experience with the various graphing tools availabe, or even
what (or where) they are.

I'd appreciate pointers-and-or-advice, should any of you have any
such things to give.

thanks in advance!

Fred

Out of the box: mailgraph

https://mailgraph.schweikert.ch/
https://github.com/schweikert/mailgraph

There are forks which implement newer anti-spam implementations like Postfix's postscreen.

See an example here

https://mailgraph.piratenpartei-bayern.de/

Something more generic but powerful: Prometheus with Grafana

It works with a time series database in the background and is the de-facto standard in DevOps environments. With a Google image search for Grafana you find a lot of examples how it looks like.

If the application does not provide the necessary metrics itself for Prometheus then an exporter is required. You find some for Postfix. Prometheus will scrape the exported metrics and within Grafana you can easily add nice and useful graphs into your dashboards.

Alexander