Re: Need help getting two NICs to work on CentOS 7

On 07/11/16 07:00, Sean Son wrote:
Hello all

Here is the scenario:  We have a mail server VM which currently has two
virtual NICs attached to it. One NIC is has an IP on a subnet with a
default gateway defined and the other NIC has an IP on a different subnet
with a different gateway on a different VLAN defined. Now when I activate
both NICs, and run an ifconfig -a, I see that both IP addresses are
showing. Now here is the problem. When I ping the VM, the first NIC's IP is
not pingable at all, but the second NIC's IP is pingable. How do I
configure the networking so that both IPs are pingable and the VM is
reachable via both IPs? Please let me know what I may be doing wrong!

Thank you!

Sean

policy based routing is useful concept but in my mind should be the very last resort. It is the kernel's networking functions which are responsible for routing tables construction and if you can shed more details (like mentioned earlier) on what can(not) ping what(VM hosting box <-> VM guest / outside internal net <-> VM / etc.) centbuddies could share more concrete thoughts then. Basically - with policy/source based routing you need to be very careful, test everything - best is to leave it to the kernel and only use main table, kernel should be the smartest, for more complex setups maybe think "routing daemons".