Re: Bourne shell deprecated?

>The various *BSD's have & use the actual Bourne shell ....

Which one? All the BSDs I know of use the Almquist Shell except for
OpenBSD which uses a patched version of the Public Domain Korn Shell

indeed, the man for sh(1) on freebsd 10.3 says (in part)

HISTORY
A sh command, the Thompson shell, appeared in Version 1 AT&T UNIX. It was superseded in Version 7 AT&T UNIX by the Bourne shell, which inher-
     ited the name sh.

This version of sh was rewritten in 1989 under the BSD license after the
     Bourne shell from AT&T System V Release 4 UNIX.

Interesting. Back in 1980 we called /bin/sh the Mashey shell. It did not have command substitution or other things we now take for granted. Bourne did that for us. So there's a version or two missing in history...

Jack