Re: SAMBA as AD DC

On 09/11/2015 08:56 AM, Dario Lesca wrote:
Il giorno ven, 11/09/2015 alle 14.25 +0200, Oscar Osta Pueyo ha
scritto:
Hello,

On 11 September 2015 at 14:04, Dario Lesca <d.lesca@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Il giorno lun, 08/09/2014 alle 20.03 +0100, James Hogarth ha
scritto:
On 8 Sep 2014 17:00, "Frantisek Hanzlik" <franta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote
Hi James, thanks for reply. It seems as at SerNet's site have
packages for RHEL6/Centos6 only, not for RHEL7/Centos7 or any
Fedora versions, at least this.

Indeed but fortunately EL6 has many years ahead of it yet.

Regarding to Samba4 with MIT in 4.2/4.3 - as I know, 4.2 still
is not even in rc, thus final release can be perhaps at the
turn of the year.
The rc is due Sep 15th last I heard.

And when time between releases is approx. 9 month, then we can
wait
around
for year...
I'll keep my fingers crossed, that it happen in 4.2
Andrew Bartlett has expressed an opinion on the samba technical
list that he'd be in favour of a very short 4.2 cycle if it means
getting these sort of updates out.
There is some news for this tread?

Samba 4.3 is out:
https://www.samba.org/samba/history/samba-4.3.0.html

and into Fedora Development there's already new package:

https://dl.fedoraproject.org/pub/fedora/linux/development/rawhide/x
86_64/os/Packages/s/

But the "samba-ad" package still missing.

Someone have more info?

Many thanks

It is a decision of red hat over MIT or Heimdal. Red hat chooses MIT
and Samba 4 AD chooses Heimdal.

You have more info in https://access.redhat.com/discussions/1235263
Ok, thanks for reply.

I read from last message of discussion:

February 9 2015 at 1:54 PM - Razvan Corneliu Vilt say:
The Samba 4 release in RHEL 7 does not support the Active Directory
Domain Controller role. It is however a good NT4 Style Primary Domain
Controller, a decent SMB3 file server, etc. What's more interesting
is that you CAN make Samba 4 from EL 7 work with FreeIPA for
authentication via NTLM AND Kerberos. I already have implemented this
using the stock Red Hat Packages and authentication works via FreeIPA
using both MS-RPC authentication in NTLM form and Kerberised
authentication. ....

This means that that never will be a samba-ad for redhat/centos.

Then, if I as I understand the reply, with Centos7 + Samba 4 in old NT4
-DC mode + Kerberos + FreeIPA ( I do not know what it is FreeIPA) it's
possible setup a Linux PDC working with all versions of Windows client,
without changing the registry into win7/8 to join to domain?

I'm not a guru of Linux, someone can point me to the right way?

I have been building a Samba4 AD on Centos7 (actually C7-armv7 beta) using the sernet rpms.

https://portal.enterprisesamba.com/

Though we had to build an armv7 distro from sernet sources:

http://repo.shivaserv.fr/centos/7/

This is Samba 4.2. It includes their Kerberos, ldap, and internal DNS. You MUST use their Kerberos and strongly recommend their ldap. I am using the Bind 9.9 that comes with C7; not to hard to integrate. I am also using the C& dhcpd.

WRT Samba 4.3 and MIT Kerberos. Samba 4.3 has shipped. But MIT Kerberos support did not make it into the initial release. Sernet has not released a 4.3 ver to date.

There is pretty good help on the Samba list:

https://lists.samba.org/mailman/options/samba

The wiki is quite good. Particularly as I have been asking lots of newbie questions and Marc has been busy incorporating the obvious answers into the wiki :)

https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/User_Documentation