Re: CentOS 5 grub boot problem

On 8/6/2015 3:56 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 08/05/2015 08:12 AM, Bowie Bailey wrote:

This is an old system with only IDE ports. There is an added Highpoint raid card which is used only for the two extra IDE ports.

Why "extra"? Are there drives connected to this system other than the two you're discussing for the software RAID sets?

I know you said that you can't take the system down for an extended period of time. Do you have enough time to connect the two 1TB drives and nothing else, and do a new install? It would be useful to know if such an install booted, to exclude the possibility that there's some fundamental incompatibility between some combination of the BIOS, the Highpoint boot ROM, and the 1TB drives.

If it doesn't boot, you have the option of putting the bootloader, kernel, and initrd on some other media. You could boot from an optical disc, or a USB drive, or CF.

To be honest, I don't remember why the Highpoint card was used. It could be that I had originally intended to use the raid capabilities of the card, or maybe I just didn't want the two members of the mirror to be master/slave on the same IDE channel.

Doing a new install on the two 1TB drives is my current plan. If that works, I can connect the old drive, copy over all the data, and then try to figure out what I need to do to get all the programs running again.

--
Bowie