Re: how do I make my headset work

On Fri, 5 Jun 2015, g wrote:

On 06/05/2015 03:43 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
On 6/5/2015 1:33 PM, Michael Hennebry wrote:
It's a desktop in an old house.
The outlets have ground-fault protection,
but the third prong is ungrounded.

not sure how GFI would function at all without a valid ground, unless
the GFI is wired to neutral, which is dangerous on its own.

As I understand it, GFI sums the currents going into each prong.
If the sum is not close enough to zero, it breaks the circuit.

also, things like fluorescent lamps can greatly contribute to hum,
although that often sounds like a buzz.  lamp dimmers too, try
switching  any dimmers in the general area to either 100% on or
totally off.

No dimmers, but I tried turning off the overhead flourescent lights.
No effect.

not really, the wire itself has to be shielded coaxial wire. if its
actually the headset itself, I'd suggest getting another one.

I've had better luck with USB headsets of late instead of analog
ones plugged into on-board audio, as the onboard audio microphone
inputs are generally of very poor quality.

even with usb headsets, quality/cost is to be considered.

cheap preforms as cheap is.

low the price, lower the quality of results.

you get what you pay for.

More precisely, you pay for what you get.
Getting what you pay for is iffier.

--
Michael   hennebry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
"SCSI is NOT magic. There are *fundamental technical