Re: [CentOS-announce] Release for CentOS Linux 7 (1503 ) on x86_64

On 04/02/2015 01:12 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
So, given a set of
Centos isos or even just the most recent, how would you know which RH
release it is based on?
Oh, one more minor point, and I know I'm probably in the minority here: for most of the cases where I use CentOS, I don't actually care which RHEL release it is 'based on.' I just want 'latest CentOS [567]' for 95% of my uses. Well, 5 not as much now, but definitely 6 and 7. I actually don't even have a case in production right now that is strict release-number-bound, but I did have a couple at one point.

So I don't care which update the CentOS ISO most closely corresponds with; it's CentOS, and the software I need to have work works, since it either works with or will soon work with latest RHEL. (the Dell Poweredge stuff, for instance, where I'm 100% fully updated CentOS 6 at the moment). Updates of course get vetted in testing first, but I try to not rely on software that is update-point-release-strict-number-bound. And if I were to need that kind of strict release number binding, that particular machine would probably get Scientific Linux installed, since they do backports of certain things to earlier releases and let you stay at a particular update level while getting certain other updates. Although there are changes in RHEL 7.1 that are challenging things in that respect; see the threads on the SL lists related to SL7x and EPEL, for instance.

Of course, you can always trick out a release number bound setup by forcing a particular centos-release package to be the one that is installed, if it is a 'paper' requirement rather than a real requirement (which I have run into before).

But I know others have other requirements; YMMV and all that. I'm just stating what the reality is for my uses at the moment.