Re: OT - httpd/conf.d include questions - allowing only some addresses

On 10/07/2014 11:22 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 10/07/2014 09:32 AM, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
On Tue, October 7, 2014 8:06 am, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
My web searching is not finding out the answers to this, so I turn to
you all here.

I am trying to NOT modify my httpd/conf/httpd.conf file, and only make
changes via includes.  I have done that with a 00-init.conf where I set
things like servername and serveradmin.  Now I want to move my allow and
denies to a 01-allow.conf include.  I tried:

<Directory "/var/www/html">
       Order allow,deny
       deny from all
</Directory>

as that seems to be what is in the default conf, but I see in the
error_log:

[Tue Oct 07 08:51:58 2014] [error] [client 208.83.67.156] Directory
index forbidden by Options directive: /var/www/html/

For apache to automatically generate index, you need to gave the
following
directive:

    Options Indexes

If there is no such directive, and no index.html (or index.php, or
whichever you described as index in config), you will get that error.
Read
on apache documentation to see how setting for diretory affect
subdirectories.
Of course, if I am going to preempt the provided directory directive, I
have to have all the needed content.  So I tried:

<Directory "/var/www/html">
     Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
     AllowOverride None
     Order deny,allow
     allow from 192.84.67.128/255.255.255.0
     deny from all
</Directory>

where the allowed address is not mine, and I still get the default
access page.  Almost like the content later in the default httpd.conf is
overriding my include.

Or is it since I have no provided content, that default screen is coming
from somewhere else...

No, I created a /var/www/html/index.html with only the line 'Hello
World', and it gets displayed.  So my deny,allow is not working...

You did not (that I see) say what version of CentOS this is for.  The
newer CentOS-7 apache uses different commands for this than CentOS-5 and
CentOS-6.

Now THAT is something to watch out for...

Centos 6.

And it seems for IPv4 CIDR addresses you have to use net/mask, not net/bits.

192.84.67.128/255.255.255.192

not

192.84.67.128/26