Re: restarting mysql databases

On 10/06/2014 03:08 PM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 06.10.2014 um 21:01 schrieb Robert Moskowitz:
I am doing an install of a mysql system, and decided that I needed to
change some things like host name.  So I have to go back to square one
with the mysql setup, but can't find any instructions for this. I TRIED:

mysql_install_db

And it did SOMETHING, but

mysqladmin -u root password 'mypass'

failed with:

mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: NO)'

I tried 'yum reinstall mysql' and that did not help

why should "yum reinstall" change anything?

Some apps reinit there data on reinstalls. Some don't. Don't know until you try.

the daemon specific data are below /var&/lib/mysql as for
any other software they live below /var/ib/appname

no command ever will reset them besides rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/
but what has that all to do with change the hostname?

Don't know what changing the hostname did or does not do. I am digging into various info to figure out what to delete or rebuild to get back to pristine mysql. I can understand why this should not be easy - for someone to remove all of your mysql data, but it should be possible...