trying to kickstart a vm guest from my datastore

I have a new ESXi server (5.x), and trying to load some VM guests on there.
I have the guests configured, but when I try and boot from ISO image, the graphics are so bad it is futile. No worries I normally use kickstart anyways.

Because the ESXi (on the same network as my physical servers) cannot talk to the PXE server. But works fine on the network (I can ssh/scp in and out of the ESXi server). i am unable to kickstart from the network. As this is a blade, there is not DVD access. But I have a kickstart file, an iso image on my datastore.

Really I have two questions:
1. how do I "test" or troubleshoot WHY ESXi cannot reach the pxe server. The mac addresses/ips/hostnames of the VM guests are in DNS and DHCP. 2. How do I kickstart a VM guest from the datastore kickstart file/iso image?

D.