Re: Centos laptop support

op 02-10-14 15:01, Valeri Galtsev schreef:
On Thu, October 2, 2014 7:16 am, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
op 02-10-14 11:33, wwp schreef:
Hello,

On Thu, 02 Oct 2014 11:01:19 +0200 Johan Vermeulen
<jvermeulen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

op 02-10-14 09:01, wwp schreef:
Hello Frank,

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 22:57:30 -0600 Frank Cox
<theatre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Today I found myself in need of a laptop to run Centos on.  And that
simple statement led to an all-day odyssey.
[snip]
Since it has now become amazingly difficult to get a laptop if you're
not planning to use Windows, at least around here, I'm wondering what
the rest of you fine folks do when it comes to purchasing a laptop?
Next time this comes up, I'd rather not have to spend all day on
something that used to take fifteen minutes.
Dell Latitude series, from the old D810 to more recent E65xx ones.

Regards,
Hello All,

when buying laptops I try to avoid Ati/Radeon cards, because of pas
issues.
But maybe it would be all right now.

Definitely no Broadcom wireless.
No Lenovo because of id/pairing protected cards.
In short, I look for laptops with as many Intel parts as possible.

Although it is true that Amd is a lot of power for a buck.
What's wrong w/ Broadcom wireless? Works fine here (Broadcom
Corporation BCM4313 802.11bgn Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)), even
if I had to install their driver (it's well documented on the CentOS
wiki).

Regards,

With Dell laptops I pay special attention to get Intel wireless (as much
as I hate intel for video chip I love Intel for their wireless chip), I'm
definitely allergic to broadcom wireless from the very beginning. I do
avoid Compaq (and HP since compaq was bought by them): they hard code in
BIOS IDs of "approved" cards - it least compaq did it to me once, I had to
dump BIOS, use hex editor to add Intel wireless card ID to replace with is
broadcom crap - way back (yes, I had to unsolder PPROM chip from system
board for that). It was the same Compaq that did, as some remember "clean
room" --> IBM PC compatible. I too decided recently to stay away from
Lenovo in a future, reading this thread confirms it. I'm staying away from
Sony; they release very short series of models, do small tweaks, ... you
never know what you will get inside, no way to rely on experience
published by others. Also I saw Sony fail more often (few people around
buy them for themselves).

My $0.02

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago
Phone: 773-702-4247
I was wondering about HP, I saw only one post saying they also have the id:pair coding.
So confirmed here.

I guess you can have the Broadcom cards work across kernel updates with DKMS, but never tried that.
I try to keep third-party packages away from vital parts like kernels.

That is what I appreciate about distro's like Fedora and Centos: they have no easy-enabled non-free repo
( that I know of ) that would let me use the Broadcom cards out-of-the-box.
So you get to discover the limitations of open source software and you learn that some hardware manufactures are with it and some aren't. And that narrows down the decision on where to spent my money and my company's money.

Greetings, Johan