Re: Third-party SATA-RAID cards suggestions

On 12/05/2013 09:49 PM, Sorin Srbu wrote:
Hi all,

Would anybody care to suggest a third party SATA-RAID card that works out of
the box with CentOS 6, without having to jump through hoops to make it work?

The card should preferably be able to connect ten harddrives, but I guess
three four-port cards should work as well. There's no need for anything fancy
really, as long as I can create a single big software-raid on it at CentOS
install-time.

So far I've tried a Highpoint RocketRAID 2740 and a LSI 9201-16i without too
much success.
I have two servers with various RocketRaid cards installed - you do have to jump some hoops to make them work but they seem to work just fine once set up properly - you need to recompile/link for every kernel update - I have a script that I run to make it painless (YMMV).
Feel free to contact me off list if you want a copy of my setup notes.
You may also want to check epel repo, I recall they had some kmod setup for some of these cards.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance!