How to change 'fstab' when you cannot boot the machine?

Hello All,

So My Drobo finished formatting and I added an entry to fstab for it and
now I cannot boot the machine. I get an error about

fsck.ext3: is a directory while trying to open /drobo
and then a mention of a valid super block

I had mounted the Drobo as /drobo and in 'fstab' I copied the line for '/'
changing to ext3 where it was ext4.

I have made a mistake

I cannot fix it because trying to edit fstab results in a "read only file
system message"

Can anyone help me learn how to recover?

Jason