Re: partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to 6.2]

On Sun, 24 Jun 2012, Nikolaos Milas wrote:

From: Nikolaos Milas <nmilas@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  partitions vs. LVs [was: Re: How to upgrade from 5.8 to
    6.2]

On 24/6/2012 7:47 μμ, Keith Roberts wrote:

 And what happens then in that situation - do you loose any
 more data than you would loose with 'standard' primary and
 extended logical partitions, or does using LVM help in
 recovering more data from a bad disk?

Read: http://serverfault.com/questions/279571/lvm-dangers-and-caveats

In a few words, if your hardware is high-quality, i.e. reliable enough so you don't expect problems, LVM adds important functionality and flexibility on servers.

In any case, the need for good backups should not be overlooked. For example, mondorescue allows both full and incremental backups, using LVM or not.

Thanks for that link Nick - I have bookmarked that. I'm looking for work as a Linux System Administrator so will check that out as well.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net